All illustrated by slides, not Powerpoint
Area Kent/Medway Time Any, by arrangement
Fee £60+, depending on size of audience, plus travel and opportunity to sell my books
Length As requested Follow-up Visits possible
Telephone 01227-765745, after 6 p.m. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. New light on . . . Roman/ Saxon/Norman/ pilgrim Canterbury from recent archaeology
2. The Big Digs
3. The Cathedral digs of 1993 and the Anglo-Saxon Cathedral
4. The World Heritage Site: St Martin's Church, St Augustine's Abbey, Cathedral Builders: three great architects
1. Why is Canterbury Cathedral where it is ?
2. Lanfranc: inheritor or new broom ?
3. Becket: Canterbury's second martyr and other Becket titles by arrangement
4. Grey, Black and White: Canterbury's friars
5. The Worthy Poor: Canterbury's eight almshouses and their survival
6. The Strangers: Canterbury's weaver immigrants
7. Civil War Canterbury and William Somner
8. Canterbury in the Age of Improvement
9. The Canterbury-Whitstable Railway
10. Canterbury and the Gothic Revival
1l. Kent and the Dissolution of the Monasteries
1. Christopher Marlowe and Canterbury
2. Literary Canterbury from the Monks to Maugham and after
also Who was Mary Waring ? The story of a 1706 sampler
...and two appreciations:
Many thanks for turning out on a cold night and giving us such a thrilling lecture…we have tried to make sure that all our speakers are either good historians or experts at what they do. Your contribution was a milestone on that road.
Thank you so much for a quite superb follow-up tour of Canterbury. Apart from the fountains of knowledge that gushed forth you did so much to add to the warmth of the evening.